Welcome to Year 2!
Croeso I Flywddyn 2!
Mrs K Miller, Mrs E Hart and Mrs L Jones
Welcome back to school after the summer break, and welcome to Year 2! We hope you had a wonderful time with your family over during the summer holidays and we are really excited to get stuck into our first topic, Mud, Mixtures and Medicines. We can't wait to have lots of fun and take part in lots of new learning experiences with you.
Topic - Mud, Mixtures and Medicines
This term we will be exploring all things messy. We will start by using George’s Marvellous Medicines as a hook for our learning. We will be making our own potions and doing lots of messy science experiments. We will then travel back in time to imagine what it would be like to live as a Celt. We will be focusing on embedding the Curriculum for Wales 4 purposes in our topic by being ambitious, capable learners, enterprising, creative contributors, ethical, informed citizens and healthy, confident individuals.
Please see below for our topic overview.
What will Literacy look like?
- We will be following the Read Write inc scheme where they will be learning new phonic sounds and blends, plus reading books to reinforce the blends and phonics. These are fun, interactive sessions which the children enjoy.
- Home/school reading books will be changed once a week and recorded in a reading record. We would also be very grateful if you could make comments on their reading record records. Please could we ask that children have their books in school daily.
- The Write Stuff approach will be used when writing and during oracy tasks. It is a visual and engaging approach with the use of symbols to support the children's understanding of writing and the world around them.
What will maths look like?
- We will have three key maths sessions a week; these will take form in a variety of practical and written tasks that will build on to place value initially before moving onto addition and subtraction.
- There will also be daily maths activities within the indoor and outdoor provision, as well as frequent mental maths activities and tasks to build up fluency of skills.
- Mrs Miller will be teaching Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Mrs Hart on Thursday and Friday.
- Mrs Jones will the the class LSA all week.
- PE - Thursday afternoon with Mr Smith.
- Forest school - Friday afternoon. Wet weather clothes and wellies will be needed.