Welcome to Year 2!
Croeso I Flywddyn 2!
Mrs K Miller and Mrs L Jones
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! We hope you had a wonderful time with your family during the Christmas break and we are really excited to get stuck into our new topic, Animal Kingdom. We can't wait to have lots of fun and take part in lots of new learning experiences with you.
Topic - Animal Kingdom
This term we will be exploring animals and everything related to animals. We have asked the children what they would like to find out. They had some wonderful questions and are so inquisitive and excited to explore lots of different avenues related to animals. We will start by using The Tiger who came to Tea, as a hook for our learning. Across the term we will be exploring books to use as a stimulus to inspire and stimulate the children's learning. We will be looking at large animals and then animal life cycles. We will be exploring animals around the world and focusing in on their habitats. The children will also have hands on learning experiences in the newly created Veterinary surgery role play.
We will continue to be focusing on embedding the Curriculum for Wales 4 purposes in our topic by being ambitious, capable learners, enterprising, creative contributors, ethical, informed citizens and healthy, confident individuals.
Please see below for our topic overview.
What will Literacy look like?
- We will be following the Read Write inc scheme where they will be learning new phonic sounds and blends, plus reading books to reinforce the blends and phonics. These are fun, interactive sessions which the children enjoy.
- Home/school reading books will be changed once a week and recorded in a reading record. We would also be very grateful if you could make comments on their reading record records. Please could we ask that children have their books in school daily.
- The Write Stuff approach will be used when writing and during oracy tasks. It is a visual and engaging approach with the use of symbols to support the children's understanding of writing and the world around them.
What will maths look like?
- We will have three key maths sessions a week; these will take form in a variety of practical and written tasks that will build on to place value initially before moving onto addition and subtraction.
- There will also be daily maths activities within the indoor and outdoor provision, as well as frequent mental maths activities and tasks to build up fluency of skills.
- Mrs Miller will be teaching Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and a teacher (we will let you know once confirmed) on Thursday and Friday.
- Mrs Jones will be the class LSA all week.
- PE - Thursday afternoon, please can children come to school in their PE kits.
- Forest school - Friday afternoon. Wet weather clothes and wellies will be needed.