Welcome to Year 2!
Croeso I Flywddyn 2!
Mrs K Miller and Mrs L Jones
Welcome back to the final term of Year 2. We are so proud of the children and their resilience to school life and changes. We know this term will be as enjoyable as the others, allowing the children to lead their learning with their interests. We have lots of hands on learning opportunities planned to further develop new skills.
Our topic for the first half term is 'Explore, Discover, Uncover!' where we will be researching and finding out information about different explorers and discoveries through history. The children will have an opportunity to learn about explorers such as; Christopher Columbus, Neil Armstrong, Felicity Aston and Ibn Battuta.
Through their learning experiences, following the children's interests and their ideas, we will be finding out more about where different countries are in the world and how you can travel there. The children will be using their designing skills to build and construct different types of transport in our indoor and outdoor environment.
We will also investigate what it looks like to live in the different countries that the explorers have visited and the children will be analysing which explorer had the most challenging journey. To improve our navigation and map reading skills, we will be having 'geocache' challenges in our school grounds and the children will also plan and deliver their own 'Explorers Week' in small teams. We are continuing to work on developing our independence and problem solving skills through these tasks.
Within welsh sessions we will introduce likes and dislikes and wants and link this to previous work on colours, numbers and the weather. Activities will be weaved into our explorer work so that the language can be used in real life experiences. Finally, we will be ending the half term with an outdoor Welsh festival; more news on this soon!
What will Literacy look like?
- We will be following the Read Write inc scheme where they will be learning new phonic sounds and blends, plus reading books to reinforce the blends and phonics. These are fun, interactive sessions which the children enjoy. These will take place 3 times a week.
- Home/school reading books will be changed once a week and recorded through SeeSaw. We would also be very grateful if you could make comments on their reading record account on seesaw. Please could we ask that children have their books in school daily.
- The Write Stuff approach will be used when writing and during oracy tasks. It is a visual and engaging approach with the use of symbols to support the children's understanding of writing and the world around them.
- PE - Wednesday. Please can the children come into school in their PE kits.
- Forest school - Wednesday. Wet weather clothes and wellies will be needed. Mrs L Jones will continue to lead these sessions.
- Homework will be uploaded to SeeSaw weekly.